Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres mail list traffic over time
Date: 2008-11-23 17:05:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Another idea, I wonder if the project has gone more international and
>> therefore has more traffic at odd hours of the day for everyone.

> I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case. Alas, it's not
> possible to analyze usefully because so many companies use .com
> addresses instead of addresses under a cctld, and because so many people
> use webmail services like gmail that provide no geographical information
> in the domain.

You can often get a sense of where someone is by noting the timezone of
the Date: header in their messages. That seems to get localized
correctly even by a lot of the big services like gmail.

FWIW, this project has always been pretty diversified geographically;
we've had major contributors in Russia, Japan, and Australia for as far
back as I can remember, not just Europe and the Americas. I think there
are more people now, but I'm not convinced that the distribution has
changed much.