Re: patch adding new regexp functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch adding new regexp functions
Date: 2007-02-15 15:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> so that you would have the position for each match, automatically. Is
> this information available in the regex code?

Certainly, that's where we got the text snippets from to begin with.
However, I'm not sure that this is important enough to justify a special
type --- for one thing, since we don't have arrays of composites, that
would foreclose responding to Peter's concern that SETOF is the wrong
thing. If you look at the Perl and Tcl APIs for regexes, they return
just the strings, not the numerical positions; and I've not heard anyone
complaining about that.