Re: [GENERAL] 8.1, OID's and plpgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] 8.1, OID's and plpgsql
Date: 2005-12-07 05:06:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>> Rather than hard-wiring a special case for any of these things, I'd much
>> rather see us implement INSERT...RETURNING and UPDATE...RETURNING as per
>> previous suggestions.

> I wonder whether the ui tools need anything more low level than that. In
> general sticking their grubby fingers in the query the user entered seems
> wrong and they would have to tack on a RETURNING clause.

That was mentioned before as a possible objection, but I'm not sure that
I buy it. The argument seems to be that a client-side driver would
understand the query and table structure well enough to know what to do
with a returned pkey value, but not well enough to understand how to
tack on a RETURNING clause to request that value. This seems a bit
bogus.

There may be some point in implementing a protocol-level equivalent of
RETURNING just to reduce the overhead on both sides, but I think we
ought to get the RETURNING functionality in place first and then worry
about that...