Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-06-17 02:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> A message entitled "Having Fun With PostgreSQL" was posted to Bugtraq
> today. I haven't read through the paper yet so I don't know if the
> author discusses security problems that need attention or if the
> article is more like a compilation of "Stupid PostgreSQL Tricks."
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/471541/30/0/threaded

It appears he's discovered the astonishing facts that

1. The out-of-the-box authentication setup is "trust".
2. A superuser can make the database do whatever he wants (within
the OS privilege limits of the postgres user).

We've debated #1 before, and a lot of repackagers change it, but I
don't really feel a strong urge to change it in the source distro.
As for #2, that's not a bug, it's intended behavior.

regards, tom lane

PS: I skimmed the paper pretty fast, so it's possible I missed
something interesting, but it sure looked like "what else is new?"