Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables
Date: 2013-03-11 19:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> It feels a bit like unpredictable magic to have "DEFAULT" mean one
> thing and omitted columns mean something else.

Agreed. The current code behaves that way, but I think that's
indisputably a bug not behavior we want to keep.

> Perhaps we should have
> an explicit LOCAL DEFAULT and REMOTE DEFAULT and then have DEFAULT and
> omitted columns both mean the same thing.

I don't think we really want to introduce new syntax for this, do you?
Especially not when many FDWs won't have a notion of a remote default
at all.

My thought was that the ideal behavior is that there's only one default
for a column, with any local definition of it taking precedence over any
remote definition. But see later message about how that may be hard to
implement correctly.