Re: 8.2 features status

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-05 01:19:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com> writes:
> So if you define "major features" as class A features. In this case
> major doesn't mean important or useful or difficult to implement,
> just that they are the sort of features that one might be told to
> look for when shopping for a database. So in terms of marketing
> PITR, two phase commit, WIN32 support were very much "major" features.

You have a point: 8.0 and 8.1 had much more buzzword-compliant stuff
added. The truth of the matter is that a lot of that stuff was pretty
rough-edged in actual use, and now we're starting to smooth it out and
make it more readily usable. So in terms of *usable* PITR etc we're
only now getting there with 8.2. But that's not a bullet point that
impresses PHBs.

> That being said I think that two of the not-yet-reviewed features are
> just as "major" as the "major" features from the past two releases.

> 1) updatable views - I won't really use this but it just seems like
> one of those features that people use when doing rdbms features
> comparison charts.

Agreed, if this gets in it will be a Real Biggie. I de-emphasized it
in my list because I haven't looked at the patch yet and so have no
idea whether it's any good, but I fully agree it's a PHB-worthy
bullet point if it works.

> 2) restartable recovery (allow checkpoints for a hot-standby server)
> - Having the ability to have a hot standby database is a HUGE feature
> in my book.

Again, we claimed to have hot standby in 8.1, and we sort of did, it
just didn't work all that nicely. This will file down one seriously
rough edge, but is that a good marketing bullet point? Probably not.