Re: Declarative partitioning grammar

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: Jeff Cohen <jcohen(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Warren Turkal <turkal(at)google(dot)com>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning grammar
Date: 2008-01-15 15:36:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> writes:
> Jeff Cohen wrote:
>> If you don't define a "default" partition to handle outliers, the
>> insert should fail with an error.

> IMO, you should always have a "default" partition, then, so as not to
> violate the constraints (by rejecting tuples which are correct according
> to the constraints).

I don't agree with that at all. I can imagine plenty of situations
where a tuple falling outside the range of available partitions *should*
be treated as an error. For instance, consider timestamped observations
--- data in the future is certainly bogus, and data further back than
you want to deal with must be an entry error as well.

I agree that there needs to be a way to have a "default" partition,
but there needs to be a way to not have one, too.