Re: WIP: Faster Expression Processing and Tuple Deforming (including JIT)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Doug Doole <ddoole(at)salesforce(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: Faster Expression Processing and Tuple Deforming (including JIT)
Date: 2016-12-06 18:56:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm posting a quite massive series of WIP patches here, to get some
> feedback.

I guess the $64 question that has to be addressed here is whether we're
prepared to accept LLVM as a run-time dependency. There are some reasons
why we might not be:

* The sheer mass of the dependency. What's the installed footprint of
LLVM, versus a Postgres server? How hard is it to install from source?

* How will we answer people who say they can't accept having a compiler
installed on their production boxes for security reasons?

* Are there any currently-interesting platforms that LLVM doesn't work
for? (I'm worried about RISC-V as much as legacy systems.)

I concur with your feeling that hand-rolled JIT is right out. But
I'm not sure that whatever performance gain we might get in this
direction is worth the costs.