Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, SAKAMOTO Masahiko <sakamoto(dot)masahiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL
Date: 2010-10-05 14:25:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Can we treat statistics of a foreign table separately?

> 1. Same as local tables (maybe required)
> (pg_statistic.*, pg_class.reltuples/relpages)

This whole discussion seems to me to be about trying to do things outside
the FDW that should properly be left inside the FDW. Who's to say that
the remote side even *has* statistics of the sort that PG creates?

We should provide an API that lets the FDW return a cost estimate for a
proposed access path. Where it gets the cost estimate from is not
something that should be presupposed.