Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-04-25 14:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 24 April 2013 21:06, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
>> What goal are you trying to accomplish with this patch?

> That we might need to patch the checksum version on a production release.

I don't actually buy that argument, certainly not as something that
could happen in 9.3.

I'm inclined to think we should forget about this until we have a
concrete use-case for it. As Jeff says, there is no need for pg_control
contents to be compatible across major releases, so there's no harm in
waiting if we have any doubts about how it ought to work.