Re: splitting *_desc routines

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: splitting *_desc routines
Date: 2012-11-27 16:34:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane escribi:
>> FWIW, I'd vote for dumping all of these into *one* rmgrdesc directory
>> (which may as well be under access/ since that's where the xlog code is),
>> regardless of where the corresponding replay code is in the source tree.
>> I don't think splitting them up into half a dozen directories adds
>> anything except confusion. If you want, the header comment for each
>> file could mention where the corresponding replay code lives.

> Done that way.

Looks pretty sane to me. The only thing that seems worth discussing is
whether to put the smgr-related XLOG record declarations in storage.h
as you have here, or to invent a new, more private header for them.

There are XLOG record declarations cluttering a lot of other fairly
public headers; but given that we've invented files like heapam_xlog.h
of late, maybe we should start trying to push those declarations to
less-visible spots. Or maybe it's not worth the trouble.