Re: Executable files in CVS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Executable files in CVS
Date: 2003-11-24 04:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sure, but couldn't we automatically turn off the write bits?

> Just curious, but what do the write bits harm?

They're just extra protection against making a dumb mistake; the old
belt-AND-suspenders theory.

If we were to turn off group write permission on the CVS directories,
then the protection would be a lot stronger, but it would also prevent
manual fixes of the sort Bruce just made (or manual removal of stale
CVS lock files, as I can recall having to do several times). So I'm not
in favor of that. But "no write on the CVS data files" seems like a
good compromise policy.

Besides, it's a tad odd to see files that are marked group writable but
not owner writable. You've got to agree there's not much sense in that.