Re: listening addresses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: listening addresses
Date: 2004-03-14 17:45:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

> This slipped off my radar. I have just spent a little while thinking
> about it. How about this: we replace tcpip_socket and virtual_host with
> a new var called listen_addresses, which can have values of "local",
> "all", or a list of addresses? The default would be "local" and -i would
> correspond to "all".

No objection here. You could also allow "none" (or maybe that falls out
of the list case by writing an empty list), with the understanding that
"none" is a useless setting on Windows or any other platform that
doesn't support Unix sockets.

> Yes, I know it's not backwards compatible, but we just went through that
> argument with log_line_prefix ;-)

I think it's the same argument: neither of these variables are likely to
be touched by application code, only by config file entries; so we need
not feel compelled to provide backwards-compatibility options.

> Actually, if we wanted to go the whole hog with virtual hosting we'd
> allow per-address port specification, like apache does, but maybe that's
> something to be left for another day ;-)

Yeah, I don't think that's worth the trouble. It would open up a bunch
of definitional issues (like which port number do we use as the seed for
the shared memory key), without actually buying much useful functionality.