Re: Timezone List

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Timezone List
Date: 2006-09-06 19:01:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> In the CVS version there is a table with this information:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/view-pg-timezonenames.html

Actually, what that view gives you is timezone offset abbreviations, not
the full zone names that you could use with SET TIME ZONE. It strikes
me that we should have a view for that as well. We could use code
similar to scan_available_timezones() to generate the view output.

It's somewhat urgent to address this now, because pg_timezonenames is
sitting on the obvious name for such a view, and once we release 8.2
we won't be able to change it. On reflection I think the existing view
is wrongly named --- perhaps it should be pg_timezoneabbrevs? Or
more readably, perhaps pg_timezone_abbrevs, with pg_timezone_names for
the other view.