Re: One source of constant annoyance identified

From: "Markus Wollny" <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One source of constant annoyance identified
Date: 2002-07-03 14:00:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

Scanning google for strange backend behaviour of PostgreSQL I stumbled
over the following bug-report:

http://postgresql.linux.cz/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/1999-01/msg00001.html

It's referring to a very old version of PostgreSQL (6.0), but could it
be that we suffer from the very same phenomenon? I do notice "connection
reset by peer" messages in the logfile - I always thought that this
happened when a user terminated his request or a connection broke
because of other (mostly harmless) reasons.

Now to me it seems quite likely that our backends sort of "go to sleep",
too, hogging memory and (for some reason) processing time as well.

Has the mentioned bug report been adressed since then?

Regards,

Markus