Re: FDW-based dblink (WIP)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FDW-based dblink (WIP)
Date: 2009-08-19 15:29:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2009/8/19 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> I don't believe there is any consensus for integrating dblink into core,
>> and I for one will resist that strongly. Keep it in contrib.

> if integration means, so I could to write query like
> SELECT * FROM otherdatabase.schema.table ....
> UPDATE otherdb.table SET ...
> I am for integration.

That is not what "integrating dblink" means --- what Itagaki-san is
talking about is moving the dblink_xxx functions into core. What
you are talking about is actual SQL/MED functionality, which we should
indeed try to get into core someday. But dblink is a dead end as far
as standards compliance goes. Between that and the potential security
issues, we should not put it in core.