Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Date: 2011-02-18 15:51:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 02/17/2011 04:09 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> This is supported. Where it goes wonky is that this also has to work
>> when the connection is via SSL. So libpq provides a function to return
>> (via a void*) a pointer to the OpenSSL structure so that can be used to
>> communicate with the server.

> Ugh. Maybe not the best design decision we've ever made.

libpq-fe.h is pretty clear on this matter:

/* Get the OpenSSL structure associated with a connection. Returns NULL for
* unencrypted connections or if any other TLS library is in use. */
extern void *PQgetssl(PGconn *conn);

We are under no compulsion to emulate OpenSSL if we switch to another
library. The design intent is that we'd provide a separate function
(PQgetnss?) and callers that know how to use that library would call
that function. If they don't, it's not our problem.