Re: Machine available for community use

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Machine available for community use
Date: 2007-11-02 19:37:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Gavin M. Roy" <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Just a follow-up to note that Red Hat has graciously donated a 1 year
> RHEL subscription and myYearbook is paying Command Prompt to setup the
> RHEL box for community use.

Sorry that Red Hat was so slow about that :-(

> [ various interesting questions snipped ]

> Should people only be able to run PostgreSQL in the context of their
> own user? Do we have experience with such setups in the past? What
> has worked well and what hasn't?

Yeah, I'd vote for people just building private PG installations in
their own home directories. I am not aware of any performance-testing
reason why we'd want a shared installation, and given that people are
likely to be testing many different code variants, a shared installation
would be a management nightmare. Also, with personal installations,
nobody need have root privileges, which just seems like a real good idea.

I don't have any special insights about the other management issues
you mentioned, but I'm sure someone does ...