Re: error out when building pg_xlogdump with pgxs

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: error out when building pg_xlogdump with pgxs
Date: 2013-08-29 10:11:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le jeudi 29 août 2013 11:52:36 Andres Freund a écrit :
> On 2013-08-29 11:49:00 +0200, Cédric Villemain wrote:
> > Le mercredi 28 août 2013 00:12:22 Andres Freund a écrit :
> > > Hi Alvaro,

> > > What's the point in doing USE_PGXS builds with a full and configured
> > > source present? The only thing I can think of is testing that pgxs
> > > builds are working. In that case it doesn't seem helpful to fake
> > > something into working which is then going to fail for real USE_PGXS
> > > builds (where the original sourcetree won't be at that location
> > > anymore).
> >
> > I had the same idea when Peter wished to remove PGXS from the contrib
> > shiped with postgreSQL.
> >
> > I've been convinced that if we want to apply testing on pgxs makefile then
> > we need something dedicated. Not abusing the current options.
> >
> > I'm in favor of removing PGXS from all contrib makefile, not only this
> > one.
>
> Can we please discuss that in another thread? Anything like removing
> PGXS wholesale is for sure not going to be something in 9.3 and this
> specific issue should be fixed there as it already confused experienced
> users.

Andres, I was answering your question.
Short and re-phrased:
* we should not abuse make USE_PGXS to test the contrib build
* I believe your patch is correct to issue an error when trying to build
pg_xlogdump with PGXS, it is not possible, dot.

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/