Re: Column-Level Privileges

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column-Level Privileges
Date: 2009-01-23 00:28:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One thing that just occured to me is that we could, should we want to,
> move the column-level privs over into the 'Access privileges' column by
> just adding them on after the table-level privs. We would want to make
> sure the table-level privs come first and maybe have some seperator to
> indicate that the following are column-level privs.

> That might make the display nicer on 80-col systems, though personally
> I like larger windows. :)

Well, the examples I've looked at fit in 80 columns, but it's true that
all the identifiers involved were pretty short. The alternative I think
you're suggesting is

Access privileges
Schema | Name | Type | Access privileges
--------+------+-------+---------------------------
public | foo | table | postgres=arwdDxt/postgres
: joe=r/postgres
: bar:
: joe=a/postgres
: baz:
: joe=w/postgres
(1 row)

which is definitely more compact horizontally, but I think it's harder
to follow. It's also *less* compact vertically, which is not a
negligible consideration either.