Re: postgresql -- what's in a name?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
Cc: will trillich <will(at)serensoft(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql -- what's in a name?
Date: 2002-02-11 06:10:23
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org> writes:
> It started out as "Ingres" - a project at UCB. Then it was taken by
> Michael Stonebraker, who led a team that worked on "Postgres"
> ("post-" as in "after-"), and developed into that.

"Taken" isn't the right word here, since Prof. Stonebraker was the lead
on both projects. Also, Postgres was not a revision of Ingres but a
complete new project with new goals and all-new code. See
http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/postgres/postgres-v4r2/postgres.faq
(which can be reached from the POSTGRES link in our "What is
PostgreSQL?" documentation entry)

Karel posted a good summary awhile back:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-11/msg01255.php

> In 1995, it became
> Postgres95 - and the final name change came with the addition of SQL
> capabillities, at which point it became "PostgreSQL", the name it still
> has.

Postgres95 was SQL, if I'm not mistaken.