Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?
Date: 2007-08-15 03:13:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Since I don't think that a datatype solution is the way to go,
>> I don't feel that we are as far away from an agreement as Bruce
>> is worried about.

> Well, from where I sit, there is one person saying give me the foot gun,
> and Heikki saying he wants a bullet-proof type system, and you and I are
> in the middle, so the big problem is I don't see a concensus forming,
> and we have been discussing this for a while.

The people who actually use tsearch2 seem to all have the same opinion ...
so I think we can't go too far in the bullet-proofing direction.

But I would like a design that is bulletproof in dump/reload scenarios,
and I think it's fair to question that aspect of the tsearch2 design
because we've seen many reports of people having trouble updating
databases that use tsearch2.