Re: BUG #5351: compiling with --disable-shared is broken (patch included)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonas Lund" <whizzter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5351: compiling with --disable-shared is broken (patch included)
Date: 2010-03-01 02:39:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Jonas Lund" <whizzter(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm compiling with "--disable-shared" on 8.4.2 (worked with 8.3.1) and it
> fails with:

Hmm ... out of curiosity, what exactly is your motivation for doing
that? The reason we don't test this anymore is that so much of
Postgres' functionality is bound up in loadable modules that a build
without them seems of little use. It wouldn't even come close to
passing the regression tests, for example.

The reason I'm being picky about this is that the change in
Makefile.shlib was intentional, and I'm afraid that your change
would break other stuff that works now. I'm not even convinced
that it's a good way of solving your problem --- shouldn't the
all-shared-lib target not get built, if you've disabled shlib
building?