Re: About the performance of startup after dropping many tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gan Jiadong <ganjd(at)huawei(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, liyuesen(at)huawei(dot)com, yaoyiyu(at)huawei(dot)com, liuxingyu(at)huawei(dot)com, tianwengang(at)huawei(dot)com
Subject: Re: About the performance of startup after dropping many tables
Date: 2011-02-18 14:55:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Possibly, but it's not necessarily a bad idea to improve performance
> for people with crazy schemas.

It is if it introduces unmaintainable code. I see no way to collapse
multiple drop operations into one that's not going to be a Rube Goldberg
device. I'm especially unwilling to introduce such a thing into the
xlog replay code paths, where it's guaranteed to get little testing.

(BTW, it seems like a workaround for the OP is just to CHECKPOINT right
after dropping all those tables. Or even reconsider their shutdown
procedure.)