Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restrict ALTER FUNCTION CALLED ON NULL INPUT (was Re: Not quite a security hole: CREATE LANGUAGE for non-superusers)
Date: 2012-06-12 19:13:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
>>> This seems bizarre and largely unnecessary. As you stated to begin
>>> with, granting ownership of a function implies some degree of trust.

>> Yes, but I would never expect that level of trust to include access to crash
>> the server as a consequence of the function's reliance on STRICT.

> +1. Crashes are bad.

C functions, by definition, carry a risk of crashing the server.
I cannot fathom the reasoning why we should consider that granting
ownership of one to an untrustworthy user is ever a good idea, let alone
something we promise to protect you from any bad consequences of.

Even if I accepted that premise, this patch is a pretty bad
implementation of it, because it restricts cases that there is no
reason to think are unsafe.

A less bizarre and considerably more future-proof restriction, IMO,
would simply refuse any attempt to give ownership of a C function
to a non-superuser.