Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia(at)l00-bugdead-prods(dot)de>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vax(at)openbsd(dot)org, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Greg Stark" <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, port-vax(at)netbsd(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date: 2014-06-24 16:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia(at)l00-bugdead-prods(dot)de> writes:
> OK, that was easy:

> $ cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql
> $ make install
> ===> postgresql-client-9.3.4p0 requires shared libraries .

> OpenBSD VAX is static only, so no postgresql on OpenBSD
> VAX before shared libraries will ever be made working on it.

Ouch. We long ago passed the point of no return as far as requiring
shared library support: there's too much backend functionality that's
in separate shared libraries rather than being linked directly into
the core executable. I doubt anyone will be interested in taking on
the task of supporting a parallel all-static build.

I think this means we can write off VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD as a viable
platform for Postgres :-(. I'm sad to hear it, but certainly have
not got the cycles personally to prevent it.