Re: TODO items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO items
Date: 2003-08-08 13:56:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am marking the completed TODO items. Are these done?

> * Have standalone backend read postgresql.conf

[looks] Nope. No ProcessConfigFile() call in postgres.c.

> * Prevent whole-row references from leaking memory, e.g. SELECT
> COUNT(tab.*)

Nope.

> * Use index to restrict rows returned by multi-key index when used with
> non-consecutive keys or OR clauses, so fewer heap accesses

Not sure what this means.

> * Prevent index uniqueness checks when UPDATE does not modify the column

Not done.

> * Return proper effected tuple count from complex commands [return]

I looked at that TODO.detail file, and it all seems to be ancient
history. Didn't we resolve those issues to peoples' satisfaction in 7.3?

> o Allow SHOW of non-modifiable variables, like pg_controldata

I put in read-only variables for the things that seemed most interesting
(LC_COLLATE for example), but the coverage isn't complete.

> o Allow array declarations and other data types in PL/PgSQL DECLARE

AFAIK this is pretty much fixed.

> o Add PL/PgSQL PROCEDURES that can return multiple values

Not done (unless this is referring to RETURN NEXT, but I think it's
talking about multiple output parameters).

> o Add table function support to pltcl, plperl, plpython

Not done.

> o Allow PL/PgSQL to support array element assignment

Done.

> * Make blind writes go through the file descriptor cache

Not done.

> * Improve Subplan list handling

Dunno what this is referring to.

> * Precompile SQL functions to avoid overhead (Neil)

Not done.

> * Add optional CRC checksum to heap and index pages

Not done.

> o Add optional textual message to NOTIFY

Not done, but there is room in the FE/BE protocol now for something like
this.