Re: Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-03-17 18:26:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com> writes:
> This is because MAC, BSD and GNU getopt_long permutes the arguments, and our getopt_long does not.

AFAIK those all work by scribbling on the original argv[] array, a
behavior that seems pretty risky from a portability standpoint.
Since our port/ module is only going to get used on old platforms with
no or broken getopt_long(), it needs to be pretty conservative about
what it assumes the system environment can handle.