Re: error: operator does not exist: bigint = character varying

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error: operator does not exist: bigint = character varying
Date: 2007-06-28 04:47:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it> writes:
> Now my application raises this exception (all was ok with 8.2):
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: operator does not exist:
> bigint = character varying

> this is my code fragment
> PreparedStatement ps = connessione.prepareStatement("SELECT
> strato.idplot, strato.idstrato, strato.nome, strato.copertura,
> strato.altezza, strato.note FROM plot WHERE idplot=?");
> ps.setString(1, rilievo.dato[Rilievo.ID]);
> the type of idplot is
> "idplot integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('sequenza_plot'::regclass)"

Better look again, because that error message says that the lefthand
input is bigint not integer. Are you looking at the right table?

In any case you should not be using setString() for an integer query
parameter. This would have worked in 8.2 only for rather small values
of "work" --- you would have gotten a textual not a numeric comparison,
which among other things would have defeated the use of any index on the
idplot column.