Re: checkpointer continuous flushing

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date: 2016-01-09 12:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-01-09 18:24:01 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Okay, but I think that is the reason why you are worried that it is possible
> to issue sync_file_range() on a closed file, is that right or am I missing
> something?

That's one potential issue. You can also fsync a different file, try to
print an error message containing an unallocated filename (that's how I
noticed the issue in the first place)...

I don't think it's going to be acceptable to issue operations on more or
less random fds, even if that operation is hopefully harmless.

Greetings,

Andres Freund