Re: superuser() shortcuts

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: superuser() shortcuts
Date: 2014-12-05 13:16:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I have a hard time wrapping my head around what a *lot* of our users ask
> > when they see a given error message, but if our error message is 'you
> > must have a pear-shaped object to run this command' then I imagine that
> > a new-to-PG user might think "well, I can't create pear shaped objects
> > in PG, so I guess this just isn't supported." That's not necessairly
> > any fault of ours, but I do think "permission denied" reduces the chance
> > that there's any confusion about the situation.
>
> This is just ridiculous. You're postulating the existing of a person
> who thinks that a replication role is something that they buy at
> Wendi's rather than something granted by the database administrator.
> Give me a break.

I was pointing out that it might not be recognizable as a permission by
a person new to PG, yes. I did not characterize that individual as a
database administrator, nor would they characterize themselves that way
(at least, the person I'm thinking of).

> > I do prefer my version but it's not an unfounded preference.
>
> I never said that your preference was unfounded. I said that I
> disagreed with it.

And this doesn't seem like it's going to change and certainly not over
email and so I'm going to go with Alvaro's approach and simply drop it.
I'll finish up the changes that I commented on above and move on.

Thanks,

Stephen