Re: tracking commit timestamps

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anssi Kääriäinen <anssi(dot)kaariainen(at)thl(dot)fi>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date: 2014-11-19 13:22:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Petr Jelinek wrote:

> This is good point, we are not too late in the cycle that LSN couldn't be
> added later if we find that it is indeed needed (and we don't have to care
> about pg_upgrade until beta).

I think we're overblowing the pg_upgrade issue. Surely we don't need to
preserve commit_ts data when upgrading across major versions; and
pg_upgrade is perfectly prepared to remove old data when upgrading
(actually it just doesn't copy it; consider pg_subtrans or pg_serial,
for instance.) If we need to change binary representation in a future
major release, we can do so without any trouble.