Re: split builtins.h to quote.h

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split builtins.h to quote.h
Date: 2014-11-07 21:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> I personally think that's getting our priorities backwards, but
> there's clearly a spectrum in terms of how much people care about the
> cost of partial compiles, and I'm clearly all the way on one end of
> it. I don't like having to think hard about where a function
> prototype is or should be, and getting more consistency there would,
> for me, outweigh all other considerations.

fmgr.h is a nasty header which would do well to avoid including in other
headers as much as possible; it makes compilation in frontend
environment impossible. For headers that don't otherwise need fmgr.h,
my preference is to keep the SQL-callable declarations in builtins.h or
some other dedicated header.