Re: printing table in asciidoc with psql

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: printing table in asciidoc with psql
Date: 2014-11-07 21:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I did \o /tmp/tst, then
\dS
create table "eh | oh" ();
\dS

and then filtered the output file to HTML. The CREATE TABLE tag ended
up in the same line as the title of the following table. I think
there's a newline is missing somewhere.

The good news is that the | in the table name was processed correctly;
but I noticed that the table title is not using the escaped print, so I
would imagine that if I put a | in the title, things would go wrong.
(I don't know how to put titles on tables other than editing the
hardcoded titles for \ commands in psql).

Another thing is that spaces around the | seem gratuituous and produce
bad results. I tried "select * from pg_class" which results in a very
wide table, and then the HTML output contains some cells with the values
in the second line; this makes all rows taller than they must be,
because some cells use the first line and other cells in the same row
use the second line for the text. I hand-edited the asciidoc and
removed the spaces around | which makes the result nicer. (Maybe
removing the trailing space is enough.)