Re: END_OF_RECOVERY shutdowns and ResetUnloggedRelations()

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: END_OF_RECOVERY shutdowns and ResetUnloggedRelations()
Date: 2014-10-27 10:39:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2014-09-25 22:41:18 +0200, andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com wrote:

> On 2014-09-24 17:06:05 +0530, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> >
> > 1. Move the call to ResetUnloggedRelations(UNLOGGED_RELATION_INIT) to
> > earlier in StartupXLOG.
> >
> > 2. Inside that function, issue fsync()s for the main forks we create by
> > copying the _init fork.
>
> These two imo should definitely be backpatched.

I've attached updated versions of these two patches. The only changes
are to revise the comments as you suggested.

> > 3. A small fixup to add a const to "typedef char *FileName", because the
> > earlier patch gave me warnings about discarding const-ness. This is
> > consistent with many other functions in fd.c that take const char *.
>
> I'm happy with consider that one for master (although I seem to recall
> having had a patch for it rejected?), but I don't think we want to do
> that in the backbranches.

(I gave up on this for now as an unrelated diversion.)

> > 4. Issue an fsync() on the data directory at startup if we need to
> > perform crash recovery.
>
> I personally think this one should be backpatched too. Does anyone
> believe differently?

I revised this patch as well, I'll rebase and send it separately along
with the initdb -S patch shortly.

-- Abhijit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Call-ResetUnloggedRelations-UNLOGGED_RELATION_INIT-e.patch text/x-diff 2.1 KB
0002-Make-ResetUnloggedRelations-_INIT-fsync-newly-create.patch text/x-diff 2.2 KB