Re: PL/pgSQL 2

From: Steven Lembark <lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Date: 2014-10-02 20:31:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Python2 -> Python3 would've been a lot less painful if you could mark,
> on a module-by-module basis, whether a module was python2 or python3
> code. It wasn't very practical for Python because python code can reach
> deep into the guts of unrelated objects discovered at runtime - it can
> add/replace member functions, even hot-patch bytecode. That's not
> something we allow in PL/PgSQL, though; from the outside a PL/PgSQL
> function is pretty opaque to callers.

Perl does this with "use <version>". Currently this guarantees that
the compiler is a minimum version and also turns OFF later version's
keywords.

At that point someone could turn on/off the appropriate syntax with
by module or code block. If you never turn on v2.0 you never get the
new behavior; after that people can adjust the amount and location
of later code to their own taste.

--
Steven Lembark 3646 Flora Pl
Workhorse Computing St Louis, MO 63110