Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>
Subject: Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Date: 2014-09-25 17:14:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 06:01:08PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> But independent of which version is chosen, we *REALLY* need to make the
> decision soon. This issue has held up the next beta (like jsonb has
> blocked previous beta) for *weeks*.
>
> Personally it doesn't make me very happy that Heikki and Tom had to be
> the people stepping up to fix this.

I think there are a few reasons this has been delayed, aside from the
scheduling ones:

1. compression issues were a surprise, and we are wondering if
there are any other surprises
2. pg_upgrade makes future data format changes problematic
3. 9.3 multi-xact bugs spooked us into being more careful

I am not sure what we can do to increase our speed based on these items.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +