Re: WAL format and API changes (9.5)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: WAL format and API changes (9.5)
Date: 2014-09-16 02:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Here we go. I've split this again into two patches. The first patch
> is just refactoring the current code. It moves XLogInsert into a new
> file, xloginsert.c, and the definition of XLogRecord to new
> xlogrecord.h header file. As a result, there is a a lot of churn in
> the #includes in C files that generate WAL records, or contain redo
> routines. The number of files that pull in xlog.h - directly or
> indirectly through other headers - is greatly reduced.

I think you should push the first patch for now and continue to
investigate the issues in the second patch. Some minor suggestions I
have for the first patch are that since xlog.h is no longer used by
other headers (but only by .c files), you should just #include
xloginsert.h instead of doing the forward declaration of struct
XLogRecData; and in xlog_internal.h, instead of

- * XLogRecord is defined in xlog.h, but we avoid #including that to keep
+ * XLogRecord is defined in xlogrecord.h, but we avoid #including that to keep

I would just suggest to #include xlogrecord.h, since it should just
work to include that file from frontend programs. It didn't work for
xlog.h because that one #includes fmgr.h IIRC and that one causes Datum
to appear, which makes compilation blow up. Shouldn't be the case here.