Sample LDIF for pg_service.conf no longer works

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sample LDIF for pg_service.conf no longer works
Date: 2014-08-16 03:31:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

When using pg_service.conf with LDAP, we document[1] the following sample LDIF
for populating the LDAP server:

version:1
dn:cn=mydatabase,dc=mycompany,dc=com
changetype:add
objectclass:top
objectclass:groupOfUniqueNames
cn:mydatabase
uniqueMember:host=dbserver.mycompany.com
uniqueMember:port=5439
uniqueMember:dbname=mydb
uniqueMember:user=mydb_user
uniqueMember:sslmode=require

That presumably worked at one point, but OpenLDAP 2.4.23 and OpenLDAP 2.4.39
both reject it cryptically:

ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
additional info: uniqueMember: value #0 invalid per syntax

uniqueMember is specified to bear a distinguished name. While OpenLDAP does
not verify that uniqueMember values correspond to known DNs, it does verify
that the value syntactically could be a DN. To give examples, "o=foobar" is
always accepted, but "xyz=foobar" is always rejected: "xyz" is not an LDAP DN
attribute type. Amid the LDAP core schema, "device" is the best-fitting
objectClass having the generality required. Let's convert to that, as
attached. I have verified that this works end-to-end.

Thanks,
nm

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/libpq-ldap.html

--
Noah Misch

ldif-sample-device-v1.patch text/plain 1.4 KB