Re: Minmax indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minmax indexes
Date: 2014-07-10 21:29:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> So I guess the only thing left is to issue a NOTICE when said alter
> > That's not in the patch. I don't think we have an appropriate place to
> > emit such a notice.
>
> What do you mean by "don't have an appropriate place"?

What I think should happen is that if the value is changed, the index
sholud be rebuilt right there. But there is no way to have this occur
from the generic tablecmds.c code. Maybe we should extend the AM
interface so that they are notified of changes and can take action.
Inserting AM-specific code into tablecmds.c seems pretty wrong to me --
existing stuff for WITH CHECK OPTION views notwithstanding.