Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels
Date: 2014-06-10 14:32:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-06-10 07:56:01 -0400, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> Providing it as GUC would have given end users both the peices, but
> with a compile-time option they have only one half of the solution;
> except if they go compile their own binaries, which forces them into
> being packagers.
>
> I am not alone in feeling that if Postgres wishes to provide a control
> over child backend's oom_score_adj, it should be a GUC parameter
> rather than a compile-time option. Yesterday a customer wanted to
> leverage this and couldn't because they refuse to maintain their own
> fork of Postgres code.

Independent of the rest of the discussion, I think there's one more
point: Trying to keep your system stable by *increasing* the priority of
normal backends is a bad idea. If you system gets into OOM land you need
to fix that, not whack who gets killed around.
The reason it makes sense to increase the priority of the postmaster is
that that *does* increase the stability by cleaning up resources and
restarting everything.

Greetings,

Andres Freund