Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory

From: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory
Date: 2014-05-08 16:17:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Andres Freund 2014-05-08 <20140508145901(dot)GB1703(at)awork2(dot)anarazel(dot)de>
> > Maybe this is nitpicking, but what happens when postgresql.auto.conf also
> > includes the setting of data_directory? This is possible because we can
> > set data_directory via ALTER SYSTEM now. Should we just ignore such
> > problematic setting in postgresql.auto.conf with warning message?
>
> I think that's a case of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: don't
> do that then".

I'd opt to forbid setting data_directory at ALTER SYSTEM time. For the
other options, I agree with Andres that you should get to keep all
parts if you manage to break it.

Fortunately, ALTER SYSTEM already refuses to change config_file :)

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/