Re: Cluster name in ps output

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cluster name in ps output
Date: 2014-05-05 12:11:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andres Freund (andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> On 2014-05-05 07:58:30 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I guess the question is where this should be available as well. At the
> > > very least I'd want to reference it in log_line_prefix as well?
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure that I see the point of having it in
> > log_line_prefix- each cluster logs to its own log file which includes
> > the cluster name (at least on Debian/Ubuntu and friends). The only use
> > case I can imagine here would be for syslog, but you could just *set*
> > the cluster name in the log_line_prefix, as it'd be (by definition..)
> > configurable per cluster.
>
> So I've to configure it in multiple locations? I don't see the point. I
> usually try to configure as much in common/template config files that
> are included. Everything that doesn't have to be overwritten is good.

I see the point- we've already got quite a few %whatever's and adding
mostly useless ones may just add confusion and unnecessary complexity.
If you've already got your postgresql.conf templated through
puppet/chef/salt/whatever then having to add another '%{ CLUSTER_NAME }%'
or whatever shouldn't be a terribly difficult thing.

Thanks,

Stephen