Re: How can we make beta testing better?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can we make beta testing better?
Date: 2014-04-18 15:15:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

MauMau wrote:
> From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
> >How can we make beta testing better and more effective? How can we get
> >more users to actually throw serious workloads at new versions and share
> >the results?
> >
> >I've tried a couple of things over the last two years and they haven't
> >worked all that well. Since we're about to go into another beta testing
> >period, we need something new. Ideas?
>
> I've had a look at the mail for 9.3 beta 1:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/517C64F4.6000006@agliodbs.com

This call for testing is interesting: note there was not a single
mention of foreign key locking getting a huge change, and please test it
and see whether it still works at all for you. I asked Josh
specifically to mention it in a followup to this message which you can
see in that thread. There was no reply, which I took as "this isn't a
new feature and isn't user visible anyway, so what would be the point?"

But hey, what the hell do I know about advocacy anyway, huh? So I shut
up.