Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-03-05 22:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Merlin Moncure (mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I don't see why we can't do exactly what you're suggesting in core.
>
> Because you can't (if you're defining core to mean 'not an
> extension'). Functions can't be removed or changed because of legacy
> application support. In an extension world, they can -- albeit not
> 'magically', but at least it can be done.

That simply isn't accurate on either level- if there is concern about
application support, that can apply equally to core and contrib, and we
certainly *can* remove and/or redefine functions in core with sufficient
cause. It's just not something we do lightly for things living in
either core or contrib.

For an example, consider the FDW API, particularly what we did between
9.1 and 9.2.

Thanks,

Stephen