Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-03-05 16:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just out of curiosity, exactly what features are missing from jsonb
> today that are available with hstore? How long would it take to
> copy-and-paste all that code, if someone were to decide to do the
> work instead of argue about it?

Somewhere upthread, Peter seemed to estimate it at a day, if I
understood correctly. If that's accurate, I'm certainly behind getting
it done and in and moving on. I'm sure no one particularly likes a
bunch of copy/pasteing of code, but if it would get us to the point of
having a really working jsonb that everyone is happy with, I'm all for
it.

It's not clear how much different it would be if we waited til 9.5
either- do we anticipate a lot of code changes beyond the copy/paste for
these?

Thanks,

Stephen