Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Mlodgenski <jimmy76(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Custom Scan APIs (Re: Custom Plan node)
Date: 2014-03-04 14:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Ashutosh Bapat (ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> During EXPLAIN, ExecInitNode() is called. If ExecInitNode() fires queries
> to foreign servers, those would be fired while EXPLAINing a query as well.
> We want to avoid that. Instead, we can run EXPLAIN on that query at foreign
> server. But again, not all foreign servers would be able to EXPLAIN the
> query e.g. file_fdw. OR totally avoid firing query during ExecInitNode(),
> if it's for EXPLAIN (except for ANALYSE may be).

Agreed that we wouldn't want to actually run a query when it's just
being explain'd. If the FDW can't tell the difference then we'd need to
address that, of course. A similar issue would, presumably, be around
prepare/execute, though I haven't looked yet. These kinds of issues are
why it was option '#2' instead of '#1'. :) I'm not sure they're able to
be addressed. :/

Thanks,

Stephen