Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it
Date: 2014-01-16 16:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andres Freund (andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> So, if we want to support antything but a) relative to pgdata b)
> relative to postgresql.conf it needs to be configurable at startup
> time. Possibly with an added initdb switch to set the location.

How would an initdb switch be better than an option in postgresql.conf?
That sounds very backwards to me. If you meant a *postmaster*/pg_ctl
option, that would make some sense to me, for folks who would like to
avoid having a single postgresql.conf at all... Don't know if that
would work today or not tho.

Thanks,

Stephen