Re: Standalone synchronous master

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standalone synchronous master
Date: 2014-01-09 17:48:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 09:36:47AM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Oh, right. Because the main reason for a sync replica degrading is that
> it's down. In which case it isn't going to record anything. This would
> still be useful for sync rep candidates, though, and I'll document why
> below. But first, lemme demolish the case for auto-degrade.
>
> So here's the case that we can't possibly solve for auto-degrade.
> Anyone who wants auto-degrade needs to come up with a solution for this
> case as a first requirement:
>

> It seems like the only deterministically useful thing to do is to send a NOTICE
> to the *client* that the commit has succeeded, but in degraded mode, so keep
> your receipts and have your lawyer's number handy. Whether anyone is willing
> to add code to the client to process that message is doubtful, as well as
> whether the client will even ever receive it if we are in the middle of a major
> disruption.

I don't think clients are the right place for notification. Clients
running on a single server could have fsync=off set by the admin or
lying drives and never know it. I can't imagine a client only wiling to
run if synchronous_standby_names is set.

The synchronous slave is something the administrator has set up and is
responsible for, so the administrator should be notified.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +