Re: preserving forensic information when we freeze

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: preserving forensic information when we freeze
Date: 2013-12-20 13:13:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas escribió:

> Maybe what we should do is add a function something like
> pg_tuple_header(tableoid, ctid) that returns a record, maybe something
> like (rawxmin xid, rawxmax xid, rawcid cid, infomask int, infomask2
> int, hoff int). Or perhaps some slightly more cooked version of that
> information. And then delete the xmin, xmax, cmin, and cmax system
> columns. That'd save significantly on pg_attribute entries while, at
> the same time, actually providing more information than we do today.

+1 for this general idea. I proposed this some time ago and got shot
down because of pageinspect. I don't know about taking the system
columns out completely -- not sure how much third party code we're going
to break that way, certainly a lot -- but the extra functionality would
be useful nonetheless.